Monday, May 5, 2014

There is a lot I can't control...

Step 3: I made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God.

Most of my adult life I have mistakenly believed that I can prevent pain if I just keep holding on. Keep holding on to that bottle of booze and the lies that were coming from the pit of hell. 

I have free will – the ability to choose – even when in bondage of my addiction I have choices confronting me. I choose to set my heart in the direction of life. I choose to follow His program for my recovery from addiction. He will show me what to fix and I will obey.

Through treatment I learned I can only be responsible for me… for my actions and my attitudes. Everything else is beyond my control. I cannot grow in recovery if I keep trying to change things that are beyond my power to change. When I surrendered I let go of my need to control. When I hold on to my determination that things should go my way I will always be in conflict with something. The moment of surrender is when I allow for the possibility that I can act differently even though I don’t know what I am supposed to do.

I am still learning that there is an awful lot I can’t do… I can’t control life… I can’t make people be what I want them to be… I can’t stop the pain inside of me… I can’t even fully submit to God’s plan yet – I am still too scared. But I know what I can do… I can make the decision to let God have control and in turn I know His way and His will are best for my life. I can no longer rely on myself to be my best judge and it is necessary to abandon my old ideas of exactly what will get me and keep me sober… I have already tried them and failed.  I have to let this Power greater than myself guide my recovery.

I remember a warning I read my first time through treatment… I don’t know what book it came from but I did write it down: 
"Be careful when you reach step 3… you start to feel better physically than you have in years… you may even feel like you are your old self again and your addiction may drop hints that you really don’t have a problem and you will think you have gained control.  Be careful this is dangerous thinking and you may end up using again.  When confidence sets in it is time to remember why you came to recovery in the first place.”


This was true for me… I remember thinking what in the world am I doing in treatment?  I never had any legal issues. Unlike most of the people in treatment I had started treatment on my own. I had no court ordering me to be there. Even other people in my life were questioning why I was in treatment.  Anyone that knew me knew I drank and knew I enjoyed it very much. But so many said they didn't know I had a problem with it. I heard things like: Is it really that bad? Do you really think it’s a problem? Don’t you think you just drink because you are lonely?

I was starting to believe I was overreacting… but then I wondered how bad does it have to be. Do I wait until I have legal issues, or until my health deteriorates so badly I have to stop drinking? Do I wait until it affects my ability to go to work and function in life? Do I wait until my kids hate me and people start to walk away from me?

Yes, it was a choice I made to enter treatment… I made it because I was feeling sick, out of control and suicidal. I believe I was very skilled at hiding my drinking! There were many times I would go someplace after drinking and I can guarantee most people had NO IDEA I was drinking. I am ashamed to admit that I drove with my kids in the car while under the influence. I am ashamed to admit there were many times I went to church after downing a few drinks. I could be pretty lite and most people never knew!  I could consume a lot of alcohol – many different types of booze and I am pretty sure I had pretty much everyone fooled. Then I think maybe not? Maybe there were some that knew... maybe I wasn't as clever as the booze told me I was? 

Yes… these were reason enough to be in treatment and they were reason enough to stay!! I am so glad I stuck with it. In treatment we completed a usage history. I am pretty sure it would amaze people to read that part of my treatment. Maybe someday I will be brave enough to type it out and share it. But for now that is between me, God, my kids and my treatment group.

In turning my life over to God I give Him my entire self. Losses, shame, moments of disgrace, fear, loneliness, dreams that died, dashed hopes, broken relationships, broken promises, failures and all the scars that have left me bitter.  God is my redeemer… my restorer… He is filling the empty places in my heart. He can and He will restore. He is also trustworthy to give me the desires of my heart.

When my addiction began I was seeking pleasure and a way of escaping pain. As I submit to His will and direction my burdens become manageable. I find rest for my soul when I give Him control. I will take the steps needed to change my focus and turn my life over to God instead of reverting to hiding places of my past. When I am overwhelmed and in need of an escape I have a place to turn – God. Do I always do that? No, I seem to forget what He can do and how He can help me.

I will let God define the overall direction of my life. I will try to openly reveal all the things I think I keep hidden from Him. As I open the hidden portion of my heart and soul I can make good decisions and choices that will help me to grow in my recovery and to grow into confidence to be the woman God wants me to be. 

I am thankful for my kids... they are my greatest support system. Many times they have helped me to abstain from alcohol. I have amazing friends and family who support my recovery. I know people pray for me and for that I am most grateful!! If you are reading this and you are one that keeps me in prayer please know I am blessed by your prayers!! 


“O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer!  From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings!” Psalm 61:1-4

The God who created, names, and numbers the stars in heaven also numbers the hairs of my head… He pays attention to very big things and to very small ones. What matters to me matters to Him and that changes my life.  ~ Elisabeth Elliot

Your best stories will come from your struggles. The seeds of your success are in your failures. Your praises will be birthed from your pain. Keep standing… I have never seen a storm last forever… seasons change. ~Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment