Thursday, May 22, 2014

Our story can be the difference between life and death…

Step 12: Having had a Spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, I will try to carry this message to others and to practice these principles in all my affairs.

I went into recovery because I had had enough. Enough pain, lies, and destruction that resulted from my addictive behavior.  One day at a time I learned the principals on the road to recovery. Now I am at a place I wasn't even sure I could ever reach. Now I am encouraged to share the message with others.

A life set free from all addictions by the Lord is a beautiful sight to behold. I know, as I have witnessed other addicts practicing the 12 step principles and sharing their experiences, I have seen the glory of God in their lives and it has given me hope.

I know from experience the depths of suffering, affliction, and brokenness. I know the pain of being enslaved to my passions and blinded by my denial. I have endured my seasons of grieving. I can relate to those who struggle to be free. I also know that there is more to life than bondage. In Christ are healing and freedom, clarity and mercy, beauty and joy.

The Spirit of the Lord God is on me, because the Lord has chosen me to bring good news to poor people. He has sent me to heal those with a sad heart. He has sent me to tell those who are being held and those in prison that they can go free. He has sent me to tell about the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day our God will bring punishment. He has sent me to comfort all who are filled with sorrow. To those who have sorrow in Zion I will give them a crown of beauty instead of ashes. I will give them the oil of joy instead of sorrow, and a spirit of praise instead of a spirit of no hope. Then they will be called oaks that are right with God, planted by the Lord, that He may be honored.  
Isaiah 61:1-3

This mission has been passed on to me. I am in a unique position to share my experiences, my strengths, and my hope in a way that broken people can understand and receive it.

Each one of us has a valuable story to tell. We may be shy and feel awkward about speaking. We may think that what we have to share is too trivial. Is it actually going to help anyone else? We may struggle to get beyond the shame of our past experiences. But our recovery story can help others. Are we willing to allow God to use us to help free others?

And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone." 
Mark 16:15

With each personal journey from bondage is a miniature copy of the gospel. When people hear our story, even if it seems trivial, we are offering them the chance to loosen their chains and begin their own journey in recovery. When touching on such a deep and sensitive issue, it is important to speak in the language of love, not condemnation.

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. 
Galatians 6:1-2

We are not the Savior but we can love others as God loves us. Love goes beyond mere words. Sometimes it is spoken in silence, when we don’t condemn someone who comes to us looking for help. Love doesn't just tell them what the problems are. It helps carry the weight of their burdens. We can be part of a support network to help carry our friends until they are able to take steps toward recovery on their own initiative.

I know while active in my addiction I did not react kindly to others telling me I had a problem so I am well aware that I need to be sensitive to allow God to lead me to someone who is ready… If there are people out there who can be helped by my message I pray that God direct those individuals to me. I pray for doors to be opened.

As we move further along in recovery, the memory of how bad our life really was may begin to fade. Do we vividly remember what we once were? Can we humbly recall the dark emotions that filled our soul? Do we have compassion and genuine sympathy/empathy for those whom we try to carry the message?  We must never forget where we came from and how we got where we are.

Once we, too, were foolish and disobedient. We were misled and became slaves to many lusts and pleasures. Our lives were full of evil and envy, and we hated each other. But—“When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. 
Titus 3:3-5


As the above scripture says… I too was once a slave, just as others are today. My heart was so filled with confusion and painful emotions that others are still feeling. I was saved because of the love and kindness of God and other human beings. I need to remember that I can stay free because God is holding me, upholding me every step of the way. Every addict is a precious lost soul whom God loves and wants to rescue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment